So This time we would be trying to Install a Local copy of Wordpress (say Wordpress 3.1.6) onto our Local Machine....Ideally into a XAMPP box. To Start with , its time you get a copy of XAMPP from here - http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html and the latest distribution of Wordpress from here - http://wordpress.org/download/ .
Installing XAMPP :
Installing XAMPP is a pretty Simple Task and you can get the Steps involved right here : http://www.great-indian-curry.com/2013/10/how-to-install-xampp-for-joomla-3x.html . Once you are done with the Installation , Start it up as shown below :
- Unzip the Wordpress distribution under C:\xampp\htdocs. Ideally the '\htdocs' folder which should be under the XAMPP installation directory. In my case , it's the C: drive.
- Now Visit the XAMPP Local Home Page : http://localhost/xampp/
- Click on 'phpmyadmin' which should towards the bottom of the Left Hand Side Bar as shown.
- Goto Database Tab and Create a new Database named 'Wordpress' with Drop Down type as 'Collation'. You might choose the Database name as you please.
- This should Install a new Database for your Use.
- Goto the C:\xampp\htdocs\wordpress\wp-config-sample.php.
- Rename the file to C:\xampp\htdocs\wordpress\wp-config.php
- Open the file in any Text Editor.
- Edit the information as shown below. The Database for Wordpress should be the name of the database you created in Step 5. The Username should ideally be 'root'.
- Almost Done. Now visit- http://localhost/wordpress/wp-admin/install.php . I assume that your XAMPP is still running.
- Now Configure Your Wordpress Admin Information and Website Details for the final Installation. Remember the Username / Password you set , for logging in to your Wordpress Admin Dashboard henceforth. Hit the 'Install Wordpress'.
- Bookmark the link : http://localhost/wordpress/wp-admin/ . That's the Dashboard to your Wordpress Website you just created. Enjoy !!